Sunday, July 29, 2007

ADDIE'S ARRIVAL



For the past several weeks we have been sleeping with our cell phones nearby on the chance that we might get the "Mom, I'm in labor" phone call. When they decided to induce Megan on July 20, I took a chance and scheduled my airline reservation using the Southwest Rapid Rewards Reward that I have been hording for just this occasion and then I frantically threw myself into preparing to be gone for a week. On July 18, I was shopping at Costco, the logical place to prepare for anything, when I got a call from Megan, about 3:30, informing me that she was leaving her Doctor's office with orders to go directly to the hospital to prepare for delivery and could I somehow get to Salt Lake that evening. As with all compulsive list makers, I was still crossing off the items on the July 18 list in preparation for the birth of the July 19 list, while making preparations for Tracy, Jeff, Taylor and Austin to arrive July 19 to attend Tracy's 10 year high school reunion, Kelly, Caden, and Carter arriving for the weekend and Morgan working and packing to leave for college. My heart sank a little as I realized that Doug would have to navigate all of this without me here. Tim did a masterful job of changing my airline reservation and reserving me a car, all I had to do was get home from Costco, pack and get to the airport by 6:00. With Kelly's help I made it.

As I climbed on the airplane and sat down, amazed that I actually made it, I phoned Megan and Ryan notifying them that I was on my way. By the time I reached the car rental agency in Salt Lake, it was midnight and I was more than a little anxious to get to the hospital. Fortunately for me, not so fortunate for Megan, she was still in the beginning stages of labor. It wasn't until 26 hours later that our little Addison Linda Spiers made her entrance. Her sweet disposition became immediately apparent as she snuggled, wrapped in a blanket in Megan's arms. I had commented to Ryan earlier that I thought it would only take minutes for her to wrap him around her finger and I was wrong, it took seconds, as is evidenced in the picture of her holding his finger seconds after delivery.

I have now returned home after spending a little more than a week with this new little family. As mother's we are given the wondrous and terrifying responsibility to raise, teach, train and love these little spirits that have been entrusted to us by our Father in Heaven. When you then see your children become parents you realize that you have come full circle and you hope that you did your job well. A quote that I like goes like this, "A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary." Megan and Ryan have begun their journey of parenthood and Addie is really in good hands.

"A mother laughs our laughs,
Sheds our tears,
Returns our love,
Fears our fears,
She lives our joys,
Cares our cares,
and all our hopes and dreams she shares.

Julia Summers

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! It is so much fun. I'm glad you decided to join us. Love the picutre of Addie and Dad. I talked to Megan today and she said, "Babies are a lot of work." What an understatement!!

On a side note...while I was running to deposit a check in bank before it closed a bee flew in my ear and stung me. What a random day! :)

Ryan and Megan said...

i am so glad you were there! Too bad you arrived to not a lot of action. I can't imagine having gone through that without you there.

Hunter said...

Good to see some pictures of good ole Elder Skeen out there. I hope to see you guys next weekend at Addison's baby blessing. Also looks like blogging has become the new 'thing' to do.