Thursday, February 28, 2008

IT'S ALL IN THE LANDING

Today was "Attitude Adjustment Day". Every week I arrive with food in hand, in my effort to provide sustenance to my ailing pals. Some of them have no appetite at all and look like skeletons covered with skin while others seem to enjoy having something to snack on. I feel like there is so little that I can do and this seems to be something that most everyone can enjoy to some degree.

As I arrived I popped my head in the Chemo room and my new friend that I wrote about recently who is terminal, was already there and I noticed that there was a chair next to her that was vacant so I quickly staked my claim. As I approached the chair I noticed that her nose was bandaged and she had cuts and bruises on her face. I asked her how she was doing and she said fine and then I asked her about her about the condition of her face. She explained that her friend had picked her up and they were just driving away, and she didn't have her seat belt on yet, when someone rear-ended them. Being unrestrained her face hit the dashboard and as a result she sustained a broken nose and all those cuts and scraps and bruises. This lady needs some serious TLC and I am going to give it my best shot. We had a nice visit today and I feel like I am making some headway.

Before they start the Chemo they have to administer several other drugs that help you to tolerate the chemo. One of the things that they give me a hefty dose of Benadryl. I swear it takes less than a minute for that to kick in. It just washes over my body and I get so sleepy and suddenly it is lights out. Now, one of the side effects, there are many and some are more endearing than others, is this sinus condition that I have had since December. I have difficulty breathing and therefore snoring is a serious problem. When I am at home snuggled in my bed and it is only Doug, who knows all my good qualities and manages to overlook the bad ones, that I am annoying it isn't so bad, well for me. However, snoring in public while probably drooling down my chin is something else again. I have now made Arla, my nurse, promise with an oath written in blood, hers not mine, because she can spare the white cells right now, that she will never let me embarrass myself while I am there. I in turn promised that if she woke me up I would try not to eject myself out of my recliner, but if by some chance I do eject that I would try to stick the landing and make her proud.

The comfy recliner that I was lucky enough to stake out today just happened to be in the corner of the room with plenty of room to recline and even a hanging plant over my head for decoration. Really the service is very good. After all I bring the snack which Arla serves me and she hooks me up to liquid refreshment, I usually end up taking a nap and they provide the pillow and homemade quilt. Note to self: Check to see if they have a point system like the Marriott? I mean seriously, I think next time I will leave a tip.

8 comments:

The Plewe Clan said...

I Love the NOTE TO SELF! However, I really hope that you are not going to earn enough points for a future return! Love you

Tracy said...

you are cracking me up mom! Your attitude is so amazing. It makes me having a pitty party over Austin pooping the NEWLY cleaned tub for the 5th time this week seem like NOTHING :) Love you so much!

Ryan and Megan said...

Seriously Mom! You are the definition of "looking on the bright side". I really think you should write a book. You are such an inspiration and amazingly strong!

I can hardly wait to see you!

Lindsey said...

Linda how come I didn't know you're so funny? What a great example you are to me, you and your girls. Keep on keepin' on!!

Stacey said...

Aunt Linda,
This is the reason I wanted to start a blog. Not for the chance of showing my cute kiddies to the world, but getting closer to and learning more about my cousins, aunts and sisters who are away from me. You are a beacon. I have this hidden fear that I will walk in your shoes someday and reading your words is making an impression that trials CAN be for our good. I look forward to hearing more about you and your family.

Alyssa Griffeth said...

Linda, you are AMAZING!!! You MUST write a book. You are incredible at everything you do. I'm sure your nurses and everone at the treatment centers get a smile on their faces just from seeing you walk in the room!

In answer to your question...The caulking trick is really great...All you have to do is tape the ceiling, apply a thin stripe of PAINTABLE caulk to the place where the wall meets the ceiling, press it down to seal it, paint, then before everything dries, you remove the tape CAREFULLY or else the caulk will tear the paint off. It is almost fail-proof!

Cara said...

You are amazing! And not in the Tom Cruise-Katie Holmes kind of way...but in the I-can't-believe-she's-laughing-and-giving-and loving-everyone-around-her kind of way.

I love you!

SaraPete said...

Aunt Linda,
I love reading about how strong and positive you are about your cancer. You are such a good example! I take my good health for granted all the time. Stay STRONG!!