Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE I'M FASHION FORWARD

In the breast cancer community besides all the obvious words that nobody wants to hear, there is another word, Lymphadema. This is a condition that can occur as a result of removing Lymph nodes from under the arm because the cancer has moved from the breast to the lymph nodes or they suspect that this is the case. Lymphadema occurs because the Lymphatic System is compromised and can no longer move the fluids around the body correctly, resulting is swelling in the arm and hand and can become quite severe resulting in infections and other problems. Unfortunately there is no cure for this condition and so prevention and immediate intervention is important. Today I had to meet with a therapist to educate and train me on dealing with this problem. She took one look at my arm and said, "It looks to me like you have some "L" word. I told her that I wasn't feeling any symptoms and my arms are chronically fat because they match my hips and thighs." Well, we spent a couple of hours together and I must admit that I learned a lot some of which could prove to be very helpful. Apparently, repetitive motion is not a friend of "L" word. Some of the activities that she listed were vacuuming, ironing, scrubbing, washing windows, anything where you repeat the motion. (Darn!) Of course you could use your other hand, simple solution. Way too simple, therefore it must be flawed!! Besides this is my right arm we are talking about and I am right handed. No more heavy lifting with that arm, so I can quit training for Mrs. Universe - That's a relief!! I had to downsize my purse. No more backpacks and heavy purses. This required the purchase of a really cute purse. (Medically necessary!)

The Lady that I met with this morning sent me over to Stella, the lady who was going to fit me for this lovely compression sleeve and glove. Stella took one look at me and said, "Looks to me like you have some "L" word." What? She left the room to get some sleeves for me to try and I felt the tears well up in my eyes. Oh, how I was hoping to avoid this problem. I wanted that first lady to be wrong. By the time Stella returned with the sleeves I had regained my composure. Now this sleeve goes from my wrist to my arm pit and it has a very fashionable fingerless glove that comes with it. Of course, it is flesh colored so I doubt anyone will ever even notice it. (Even I'm not that delusional.) I feel a little like a rock star, "Yo Yo down in the hood!" One final kicker to this amusing day. I have quite large varicose veins on my legs so they thought I should also get thigh high compression socks. Oh will the fun ever end!!?

I have divulged my secrets and you have seen me at my worst! I felt a little like crying today but tell me, what good would that do besides I am now focused on the fashion industry. You can't tell me that with some of the fashion out there that I couldn't have a chance to make my compression socks (they really suck the fat in) and my compression sleeve (it looks like you belong in the hood) popular!!?? Kelly, Tracy, Megan and Morgan you are fashionistas, can you get on this?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

mom you're sexy no matter what.. even when you look like kobe bryant.

Jamie Jo said...

Aunt Linda, you have the best sense of humor. I wonder if you could draw a cool design on your sleeve so it looks like a giant tatoo, like Carly on American Idol. Do they make compression girdles, because I would like one for my belly roll.
P.S. I think that post from perfume is bogus. My mom has been getting weird ones on hers. If you have word verification, they can't post on your blog.

The Plewe Clan said...

Just think...cleaning (out), repetitive motion...out! Not a bad gig...I am going to agree with JJ and ask do they make full body compression suits????

Cara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cara said...

Look! You ARE a fashionista!

http://www.sock-dreams.com/_shop/pages/accessories_detail_ProductID_266.php

http://www.notcot.com/archives/2007/08/fingerless_glov.php

I'm so looking forward to seeing you on Saturday. Maybe I'll wear my Spanx and a wrap-around dress....when the wind blows you can get a free shot of MY version of compression undergarments.

Love you,
Cara

SaraPete said...

Aunt Linda, you always have such a positive outlook...it is AMAZING!! How nice that Doug is going to have to take over all the household chores for you :) You just need to move to Utah. It is still so freezing cold that no one would even see them under a pair of sweats!!

AD said...

I read in a book recent_y how we shou_d just rid our_anguage of that _etter you mentioned because it is so easi_y mixed up with the word he__. After reading your post, I have decided I am going to try to e_iminate my use of that _etter and then maybe your new diagnosis will a_so disappear!!!

For Jon's _ast birthday, we gave him some of those tattoo s_eeves that your neice suggested...they are perfect! _et me know if you want me to bring them over! :)

Again, your sense of humor comes to the rescue in a difficu_t moment! You amaze me!

Stacey said...

Aunt Linda this is a great excuse to have a maid....now as for the sleeves, I think you will be surprised how much others won't notice it. Sometimes I want things to be noticed and no one says a word! You are such a darling storyteller!

Cherilyn said...

I love reading your blog - if you ever privatize it get my email from Kelly! I am inspired by your humor and love for your family. Although I don't think we've ever met I feel like I know you. I think you should contact Sarah Blakley - the spanx inventor - and talk with her about a new product line!

Sincerely, Kelly's friend that now lives in VA, Cherilyn

Anonymous said...

hey mom when do you want to give me another shout out on your blog ha

Stacey said...

I saw on Kelly's blog you just had an anniversary. Hope you had an enjoyable celebration!

Ryan and Megan said...

okay for real. You need a serious blog update... you better put on that sleeve and get typing!

emma johnson said...

linda you inspire me!