Thursday, April 3, 2008

I'M GOING TO BRAG FOR A MOMENT.....

Okay, so this might be a string of moments but I figure that I'm a mother and that is what mothers do.

Morgan has been attending The University of Utah this past year as a freshman on a soccer scholarship. Freshman year is traditionally known to be a challenging year because of all the adjustments that must be made but I really must say that her freshman year while having all the standard challenges was fraught with many additional difficulties.

The soccer season started off quite well and she was starting and playing every game. We were fortunate enough to fly up to Utah for several games and also attend some of her away games. In October while playing in a game against Utah Valley University she tore her ACL, partially tore her LCL and Meniscus ending her freshman season, requiring surgery and necessitating a 6 month rehab.

It was in the very same week that she was injured that I made the painfully difficult phone call to tell her that I had been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. This was very troubling news and she seemed much more worried about me than the pending knee issues. Oh, the lengths we mothers will go to to help our children. (Just kidding) We both ended up having surgery the same week so neither Doug nor I were able to be with her to help her get through that first very painful week. Thank heavens for Megan and Ryan who came to the rescue. They brought her home to their tiny apartment and even gave up their bed. Boyfriend Ryan was Johnny on the Spot trying to meet all her needs. I found solace in knowing that she was in such good hands. She has wanted so much to be here with me and that has been difficult but I get my multiple phone calls every day.

The University of Utah has turned out to be a little more of a commuter school than she had hoped and at times this has been quite challenging to deal with. Fortunately, Ryan her boyfriend and best friend, who she had also dated in high school, was also attending U of U for the Fall Semester but he was leaving to go on a mission at the end of January so it was about to get more challenging. The first two weeks we had tearful phone calls every night and we had to call her in off the ledge. She spent a lot of time with Megan, Ryan and Addie which helped a lot along with numerous phone calls to all of her other siblings. It would be much harder to raise your kids without the help from brothers, sisters and brother-in-laws. We are passed the "jump lady jump" stage and she has settled into a routine of writing, reading and dating.

Here is the bragging part - in spite of all these issues she managed to make the Presidents Honor Roll, be inducted into the National Honor Society and the NCAA Student Athlete Award. Tim said, "There must be a mistake and he has started an investigation". (He is just kidding.)

Typically an injury like the one that she sustained would take up to a year for recovery to be cleared to play again. She was just tested and her knee functions rated into the high 90% range and so she has been cleared to play and it has only been ( I say "only", she feels like it has been an eternity) 6 months. This required considerable effort and focus on her part. She has done physical therapy and strength training nearly every day for 6 months and it obviously paid off.

I had a long conversation with her tonight and she was explaining to me how difficult this year has been and that there were many times when she really wasn't sure that she could do what needed to be done. She told me how up until this year her life had been sailing along quite smoothly. She hadn't really had many trials to overcome. This year, while she will be glad to see it come to a close she is very grateful for all the things that she has learned.

As her Mom I am impressed by all that she has accomplished but I am most proud of the growth that I have seen in all aspects of her life. Growth through trials is ground hard fought for and you have to leave some on the battlefield. You have to dig deep into your soul and find the courage and strength you need to do things that you don't think you can do. You have to put to the test your faith that The Lord knows and loves you and understands and cries every single tear with you. In our conversation tonight it was clear to me that she has walked this path and the things that she has learned and are still learning have changed her life forever.

I love you, Morgan and I am very proud of you.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Mogo does rock!! She amazes me with her strength to deal with the rotten hand that she has been dealt this semester! All blessings in disguise though... :) How could she not rock with you as her mother! oh...and me as her sister j/k Love you!

Lindsey said...

What a beautiful post from a doting mother. I don't think it is "bragging" if you are merely talking about how wonderful your kids are, that's just stating the facts :) Next time you guys come to SLC to see Morgan I would love to meet you there for lunch or something of the sorts.

Jamie Jo said...

Wow! I'm so proud of little Morgan! So true that trials really shape our character. Sometimes I feel sorry for people who have it easy all the time, because they miss out on really learning about how much the Lord loves you. Way to go Morgan. Plus, could she be any cuter? What a beautiful girl. And kudos on the double Ryan thing! We've got that going on in our family, too!

Stacey said...

You have been blessed with wonderful children all the way down the line....I'm playing catch up on your posts. We are big soccer fans. That knee injury would be the pits. I'm glad she's through it...or at least on the recovery side. That picture was so cool.
On another note...I continue to be fascinated with your journey. I am inspired and uplifted by your attitude and strength.

Jenny Fuller said...

First off, I just absolutely love to read your blog. It is so inspiring and just makes me want to be better in every way.
Second off, I feel like I could go on forever about how great Morgan is. She really is one of my favorite people, not to mention my best friend. : )